Remote control garage door repairs can be time consuming and frustrating, but there are some problems you can fix yourself, if you have the know-how. Knowing what is wrong with your automatic garage door, can often help you to decide whether it is something you can tackle yourself or whether it is best left to the professionals.
To help you decide whether you need to call in the big guns for your garage door repairs, remote control problems or you just need to book in for an overdue service, here are 5 reasons why your automatic garage door doesn’t work.
1. Dead batteries: As with any remote control, once the batteries are dead, it won’t work. So check the batteries in your remote first and if replacing them doesn’t work, check out the other common reasons for remote control garage door repairs below.
2. Photos eyes: These transmit an invisible beam between them and prevent the door closing if there is an obstacle in the way. Usually located about a foot or less off the ground on either side of the door, the actual lens can become dirty or they can be knocked out of position. Clean the eyes, make sure they are aligned correctly and that might fix your problem.
3. Obstacles: Another one of the remote control garage door repairs you can do yourself is to check for an obstruction that stops the doors from closing. If the photo eyes are working correctly, they might have been triggered because there is an obstacle on the ground, so check all around the area, remove any potential problems and try the doors again.
4. Power outage: This is a simple cause, but not one of the first we think of when the doors won’t open. So make sure the power is on and if not, use the manual override to make sure that your door does actually work.
5. Settings: All remote garage doors have certain settings that prevent the doors crashing into the ground. If these settings are too high, then the door will appear to close properly, but rebound, because it thinks it has hit an obstacle. You need to adjust these settings and the instructions will be in your instruction manual.
As you can see, remote control garage door repairs don’t have to be expensive, but if you have worked through these 5 problems and your doors still don’t work, it might be best to call in the professionals.