Most of us have automatic garage doors at home, but too often we don’t really acknowledge how dangerous they can be when children are around. After all, children seen to appear from nowhere and can get themselves into trouble in the blink of an eye, before we have had time to even register their presence.
So if you have automatic door openers at home or even a commercial garage door opener at your place of business, here are 7 tips for keeping children safe in the same area.
- Keep children away from automatic garage doors and don’t let them play or run under any doors that are opening or closing.
- Don’t let children near the working mechanisms of automatic door openers, because little fingers can become quickly caught and they can suffer serious injuries before you have had time to do anything about it.
- If you have a commercial garage door opener with a keypad, locate the pad at least 5 feet above the ground, so that small children can’t easily reach the keypads and keep your home automatic door openers away from children at all times.
- Don’t drive away or leave the area until the automatic garage doors are fully closed or opened and make sure that all children are supervised in the area, if the doors are left open for any reason.
- It is essential that any damage to the automatic door openers is inspected by a trained professional, because even minor damage caused by someone reversing into the doors can result in a misalignment and the doors might come crashing down unexpectedly.
- Always have your home automatic garage doors and your commercial garage door opener serviced regularly to avoid any unforeseen problems that could result in injuries to children or even adults in the immediate vicinity.
- Never attempt to repair or replace the springs or cables yourself, particularly with children in the area. These type of repairs require specialist knowledge, because the springs are held under extreme tension. Any mishandling of the springs from automatic door openers can result in serious injuries to anyone in the immediate area.
If you need your automatic garage doors repaired or serviced, why not get a quote online today?